June 6, 2009

Military Families

So I am a military spouse; my husband is an Officer in the US Navy. My husband is returning from deployment and I could not be more excited. Meanwhile I wanted to share some great books for military families whose children are just experiencing deployment. It is no secret that being a child in the service presents its own unique challenges and rewards. I think the separation is the hardest thing for little ones to understand at first. This list is thanks to Military One Source and these books are available at Barnes & Nobles.

I love this one, Night Catch by Brenda Ehrmentraut is about a father on deployment that uses the North Star to play a game with his son.
While You Are Away by Eileen Spinelli tells the story of three children whose parents have different jobs. The book ends happily with their homecoming.
When Dad's At Sea by Mindy Pelton. This is a story about the family of a Naval Aviator and how his daughter copes with deployment.
If you are looking for more children's books on military life, Military Family Books is a really wonderful resource! They even offer gift packages that include several great titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment